Monday, April 11, 2005

"Rain in May" rhymes with "Small Cafe"

Rocket fibbed!
I said I didn't want to be one of those people who gets busy for a few days and doesn't post anything, but here I am at the end of a busy weekend and I haven't written a thing.
2 toddler birthday parties (why have just one?) for which I made the cake, a dinner party with a surprise guest (a jazz musician and old friend who I haven't seen for a couple of years) making the cake for the parties (chocolate with Hello Kitty in the icing)... I saw DJ T for a while of course but we got playing with my keyboard and piano and a glockenspiel and that was the extent of music we had this weekend.

Anyway, I'm nervous about writing. It's hard to know if it's going to be interesting and since I've never done it before I feel a little under-qualified. On the other hand, the blog is definitely a postmodern medium. As a postmodern writer I am highly qualified.

Hanging out with the jazzers has been great and I've got some interesting ideas from that. Pop is so dramatic nowadays... it's either true love complete with harp-playing cherubs or it's heartbreak that feels worse than when my brother ripped the head off my beloved plushie. Jazz on the other hand is more real. It's about lovers being "retarded" for each other or reminiscence of a fun (but now over) romance, but with a firm understanding that these things rarely work out and that it's OK to just have fun with each other.

So I think a jazz feel would be an appropriate context for my songs. Now I can adhere strictly to the jazz formula and write a song that goes:

On a rainy day in May
Dancing in a small cafe.
Just as the day turns into night
Summer's gold to winter's white.
Now he's gone away
I hadn't time to say
Our love didn't burn bright
But he always treated me right.

It's not going to happen!
Stay tuned for some of the themes I am planning to turn into songs. Some of it is a bit abstract, but it's definitely about young people and our aspirations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home