Friday, September 16, 2005

Hopeful

It's been a better day. I'm feeling hopeful again.

Been jotting down notes on my sci-fi story. I've come up with a totally interesting universe, but no story to play out in it! Who wants to read that? I need a new idea to get people travelling... and that's a challenge. People travelling through a universe is not exactly a new idea.

Had an idea for a song about the fight that happens in the music shops. Guitarists are accustomed to just turning up their amp. Pianists are accustomed to banging away. They never get along! Those amps just can't compete with a nice big lump of spruce. And you'd never know, because a piano just sounds so nice.

Had a good read. I'm back into The Number of the Beast because I'm committed to figuring out just what happens in the end!
Number of the Beast is a unique "people travel through the universe" story, with lots of social commentary, mostly about marriage. I'm glad Heinlein wasn't my husband!

Also on my bookshelf: The Mote in God's Eye, UAC 2006 Guide, and a lot of self-psychology or self-empowering (is that a word?) books. I love Barbara DeAngelis and Leil Lowndes - they're romantics.

Piano's getting to the stalled stage. I need new approaches to my practice for each of my pieces.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle!
The Mote in God's Eye is a ripper, and the sequel, The Moat Round Murchison's Eye is just as absorbing.
I really love Niven's Pak series though, starting with Protector
love and hugs, Paulus

3:27 pm  
Blogger Rocket said...

Thanx P.

When I saw it in Mr. Gould's bookshop, I immediately thought of you and had to take it home for a quiet afternoon.

Ever since Dune, I just look for books you've recommended.

6:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow lj, i am really really flattered (blush)
I know so few people who have read and even tried to understand what Frank was on about, especially in Chapter House Dune. Darwi is one of my heroes, I suppose, someone who could see a broader vision than the requirements and regulations of her intimate community - a maverick in every sense, yet truly human and compassionate. Frank tends to polarize his goodies and baddies - too many psychopaths - I prefer flawed characters struggling for their few moments of greatness - like me!
love Paulus

9:58 am  
Blogger Rocket said...

But even psychopaths want to achieve greatness.

1:07 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home